- This class has passed.
Discovering Your Soul’s Purpose
Saturday, December 2, 2017 @ 9:30 am - 5:30 pm$109
Come on a day-long adventure about what makes your life meaningful. Make a deeper and clearer connection to your calling.
Dr. Mark Thurston will take us through a series of experiential learning exercises based on his course at George Mason University, “Consciousness, Meaning and Life-Purpose.” The workshop will weave together 1) insights from social science research about how we find meaning and happiness along with 2) the best of ancient wisdom traditions about personal transformation. Among the questions we’ll explore are:
- What core set of values best describes my personal ideal – my intentionality?
- What are my gifts and strengths, even ones that may be hidden in my faults or weaknesses?
- What would the wording of my own mission statement look like?
- How can I cultivate the power of my will to help me actually live that soul-purpose more deeply?
The program will also feature principles and methods from the newly released 2nd edition of Dr. Thurston’s book Discovering Your Soul’s Purpose (Penguin Random House/Tarcher). It offers a five-step informal toolkit for creating and applying a personal mission statement. An experienced teacher on this theme, Dr. Thurston has presented this workshop in 35 U.S. cities and 7 other countries over the past 30 years.
This program is being co-sponsored by the Personal Transformation and Courage Institute (PTCI), for which Dr. Thurston is a course leader. PTCI offers in-depth cohort-based learning opportunities, including a multi-month program each year entitled “Well-Being Foundations of Personal Transformation.”
* We will have a break for lunch. There are multiple food options within a block of The Insight Shop, or you may bring your lunch. Snacks will be available throughout the day, as well as water, coffee and tea.